(Business Or Organization Name)
Employment Background Check Policy
This pre-employment background check policy is formulated to provide routine guidelines and policies and procedures to be used when making legal inquiries or investigations of possible criminal history of persons who may be hired or otherwise involved with this business.
1. Make a list of job titles and positions to be checked. (Please note you must conduct the same background check for all persons in similar positions to avoid discrimination issues)
2. Establish what level of employment screening criminal record background check will be required.
3. Establish a list of all other aspects of the employment screening process to be done such as reference checks, previous employment verifications, licensing or any other specific requirements.
4. Determine who will be allowed to review the results of the background checks.
5. Determine who will have the authority to review results obtained and make hiring decisions.
6. All such persons should sign an acknowledgement of the need to maintain absolute confidentiality of the results of the background check process.
7. Familiarize responsible persons with the laws governing consumer reports (background checks). See the page “Background Checks: What Employers need To Know” in our website.
8. All releases and authorizations signed by the applicant must be on a separate free standing form and can not be a part of any other form or application. They must also be clear and conspicuous and easy to read and understand.
9. All releases and authorizations must be completed and signed before running a background check.
10. All records pertaining to an employment screening must be kept secure and in a locked cabinet.
11. Any adverse action based on information obtained in a background check must be preceded by a Preliminary Notice of Adverse Action , and the applicant must be given a copy of the background check along with the preliminary letter.
This provides the applicant with an opportunity to dispute any incorrect information contained in the report. Then, a Final Notice Of Adverse Action must be provided to the applicant .
Please also note that all employment background check, drug screening, driving record and state release authorization forms are available in a PDF format file to our Automated Employment Screening Clients.
All of these FCRA compliant release documents may be e-mailed to the applicants and easily completed online.
We are happy to answer any questions you may have regarding employment screening.